Here at RMP Capital, we work with businesses in a variety of industries. One concern many of our friends in the transportation industry have is fuel efficiency.
According to vehicle software platform Telogis, fuel costs account for approximately 30 percent of a fleet’s total operating costs. Fortunately, there are simple ways to conserve fuel and cut costs. Here some top tips:
- Keep an eye on traffic. Knowing what lies ahead can help reduce gear changes, which eat up fuel.
- Follow the speed limit. Speeding isn’t just dangerous — it also takes a toll on fuel economy.
- Avoid idling when possible. Leaving your truck idling for just one hour wastes about a gallon of fuel.
- Don’t overfill your gas tank. Filling it to the brim makes overflow more likely.
- Check your tires regularly. Incorrect tire pressure hurts fuel economy and can even wear out your tires.
- Opt for synthetic oil. It’s less likely to thicken at low temperatures, and therefore shouldn’t impact fuel consumption as much.
- Turn the A/C off. It may not make a significant difference, but every little bit helps!
Do you own a trucking company? If you’re having trouble meeting daily cash flow demands of running a business, ask us about freight invoice factoring. RMP Capital offers the following benefits:
- Access to free, real-time online reports
- Low rates
- Free credit reports on your customers
- Cash within 24 hours
- Up to 95 percent
- Gateway fuel card